I Have a Host of Friends

Not my friends, just an example ;)
I was scrolling through my Facebook Friends list and came to on conclusion. It is awesome to have this platform to connect with people and share things with.

Like many people, my collection of friends on Facebook run from those I have known for a long time to those who I only know on the Internet. Some people, no matter where they are on this spectrum, I would be lost without.Others, I hardly know. No matter who they are, they are on my list for a reason.

There are scores of people I wish I lived closer to and this is the only way we can stay in touch. No matter where they are, seeing what they post makes me feel close. Doesn't matter if it's just a funny they found on the Web or something that is happening in their lives. I try to keep an open mind and let them be who they are.

Others are more of the fringe group. I want to stay in touch with them even when we don't view things the same way. It is a great place to see what others think and this group of people are the ones that help me stay grounded about the day to day "news' stories and make me think about the other side's opinion on hot button issues. Among these are ones I only know on the Internet, but there are some of those I lump into other categories.

Classmates. These are one of the more puzzling crowd. People I don't remember even giving me the time of day in school are now connected with me on Facebook. We share our parenting war stories, talk about current events, even debate things at times. Yet, it puzzles me as to what happened to make them change their mind about me? Is it just that we all are grown up and have found that the alleged differences we had are stupid? We'll prolly never figure that one out.

Family. I have a lot of relations that are on there. All of them have fun stuff to say and are interested when I share something about my children or how life is treating me. We keep in contact better on social media then we ever did by phone or post. Instead of hearing from them once or twice a year, I can just glance at their page and know how they are doing. This is one of the coolest things about this platform.

Best Friends. I have about five people that I consider my best friends. They are the ones that know my soul and who I really am. They are all on there. Nice to see what they are up to and stay in touch. Miles may separate us, but we are only a screen away. You know who you are if you are reading this, love you all.

What is the point of this post? It is to say that with all the hype about how invasive the platform is, there is so much it has done for us as a global community.. Just remember to keep your profile locked down from the public eye. Only share what you wouldn't mind your boss finding out. And, please, for the love of Pete, don't post things that you will ever regret.
Thank you Facebook for keeping me in touch with the entire circle of friends I have gathered over the years. Try not to use our info too much, we're here because of the ease of community not to be your demographics generator.
See ya on Facebook

Comments

Popular Posts